Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Talk With The Sheriff And Pills

I told you when I got back I would tell you what went down with the sheriff. It was around 7:00 when I went to see him, his office and everything is centered in the local station; there was one cell, a waiting room and his office. The sheriff himself was not what I expected. He looked young, early twenties, his voice was gruff and he looked dirty, just unclean. There was something else about him too, something that was off a bit. Maybe it was the way he talked, fast and slurred, or the way he was constantly looking around; eyes darting back and forth across the room.

Anyway our conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello my name is..Lance. I don't really know how to start this.

Sheriff: From the beginning I would suppose.

Me: Yeah, of course. I woke up, almost five days now, in a small house a few miles out of town...

Sheriff: The Theodore house, private property, it's illegal to be there.

Me: Yes but I woke up there.

Sheriff: Did you fall asleep there?

Me: No. No. Well....I don't know. My..memory...it's just gone.

Sheriff: What the hell do you mean?

Me: I don't know. I remeber things about this world and how it works, but I'm not sure why because I don't know a thing about myself.

Sheriff: You remembered your name. Your argument isn't going so well.

Me: That's the only thing I remember, I don't even know if it's my real name.

Sheriff: Sounds like you may have hit your head, you might want to see Miss Natalie.

Me: Yeah, maybe I did.

Sheriff: Then why didn't you try to find a hospital?

Me: There isn't one around here! No one in this town really tells me anything! It's like your trying to hide it.

Sheriff: Well I'm afraid to inform you that the nearest hospital is a three hour drive out of town. Our town does have a doctor though, Miss Natalie. She may be able to tell you if any serious damage was done to that head of yours.

Me: I guess that's my only choice. Can you drive me there?

Sheriff: Yeah. Theres nothing else to do in this god awful town.

That was pretty much the extent of the conversation. On the drive to the doctor I asked if the date April 13, 2012 meant anything to him. He answered with a stiff and firm no. He wanted to know why and pretty much told him the truth; I said that I think it may have something to do with what happened to me. He didn't reply.

The sheriff dropped me off at Natalie's house; she's one of those doctors who practices from home. It was a decent sized house, two stories, the upstairs devoted to medical practices. Me and Natalie didn't exchange much conversation. She told me that I had a minor head injury and that after a couple weeks or so I should start regaining memory. She also gave me a bottle of what she said was ibuprofen to help get rid of headaches; which I have been having. I left and walked back to the motel (wasn't thinking, I should have had the sheriff wait for me).

I don't trust Natalie. If my head injury wasn't that bad would have I really forgotten so much? She also gave me a bottle of pills with NO label. I took the pills anyway..woke up about two hours ago. I don't know if it was the pills that knocked me out like that or just my own fatigue. My headache has only gotten worse.

I want to leave this place, something is off with it. I could walk to the hospital, but I don't know the route and it would take far too long. These people don't seem friendly enough to take me there. Maybe I can get a ride. Any ideas?

- Lance

No comments:

Post a Comment